Thursday, August 27, 2009

August Update

August turned out much better than I anticipated, helped along by the fact that neither my TV purchase nor my van repairs (the second set) have yet registered. I reduced my total indebtedness by $737.06. Not exactly an amazing amount, but I'm just grateful it is headed in the right direction.

In the meantime, it's getting exciting watching my 401(k) recover. I now have $8000 more in my retirement savings than I had last month, and only $1025 of that comes from new contributions. According to Financial Engines (my favorite website when it comes to figuring out what I need for retirement and how I currently stand in my effort to get there), I have a 72% chance of retiring at age 59 with an income of at least $43,000. (My retirement goal is to have at least $40,000 per year, but preferably $50,000.)

So August turned out OK, if not spectacular.

On the other hand, with September comes school clothes and tuition for the grandkids.

I'm going to follow AA's example, and just take it one day and one month at a time.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

I'd say a 72% chance of retiring at 59 is nothing short of miraculous in these times and something to be very proud of! I'm not sure what hubby and I will need in retirement, we haven't really gotten that far, as we still have ALL four kids still at home...one almost ready to leave the nest (when she finally finds a job!). Our 401K is doing okay, but we since our refi in January, we are back to a 30 year mortgage, no emergency savings and very little contributions to retirement. We are still far away....