Sunday, December 2, 2007

Planning for 2008--Part I

The first part of any plan is knowing what one will be making. Since I am a union member, and part of our collective bargaining team, I now know exactly what I'll be making in 2008: precisely the same amount I made in 2007!

However, I will be getting a lump sum in January, 2008. That's the good news. The semi-bad news is that in January, I owe both my daughter's private school tuition and tuition and books for my granddaughter in community college. The lump sum plus another couple of hundred will just about cover both.

Of course, I would owe all that tuition whether or not I get a lump sum, so getting the money is better than not getting it.

But it would have been nice if I could actually see, smell, touch even an extra dollar!

Sadly, it is not to be.

1 comment:

E.C. said...

It would have been nice to have a chance to possess that extra cash before having to pay school bills, but look on the bright side: knowing that you have to spend it on school will eliminate the temptation to spend it on other things. If it didn't arrive in a lump sum at this fortuitous time but instead came in little dribs and drabs, it'd be more tempting to put the money toward other needs and then be left scrambling to pay tuition.