Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Topic du Jour

Interestingly, I'm not the only one thinking about Thrift or Theft. There are a number of related posts in this week's Festival of Frugality hosted by FILAM Personal Finance. Along with my post on the subject, check out Money, Matter and More Musings wherein one finds an account of a woman with a drawer full of ketchup packages that she spends hours cutting open and spooning into a full-size ketchup jar.

There is also a more puzzling reflection on whether or not one should take those small soaps and trial size shampoo/conditioners that hotels provide. Personally, I don't consider it theft to take those, especially if I've used some but not all of the shampoo--it's not like the staff can leave it in the room for the next guest.

I find myself in complete agreement with SVB at Digerati Life as she comments on the habits of the cheap and infamous. Some are savvy, many are foolish, and some are just plain crooked.

One last concession to the topic of Carnivals, not to mention self-promotion--The Carnival of Personal Finance is up and contains many fine posts, including my blog about blogs.

2 comments:

SavingDiva said...

I recently stayed at a hotel, and I took the bar of soap. When I opened it up at home, it was a great glycerin lilac soap! I have it sitting next to my bathroom sink...I LOVE IT! I think that taking hotel shampoos, soaps, etc. is not stealing. I only take what I would actually use at home (the shower cap stays put), but the hotel charges these little extras as part of your night stay.

Anonymous said...

Yes, we all seem to do this to some degree. But the free stuff at hotels -- they are yours to use so whatever they offer, one can take I presume or it goes to the next guest.