Friday, August 16, 2013

Life Goes On. But this Blog Doesn't.

I realized the other day that I haven't written a post for this blog in months.

More importantly, while I still read the blogs in my blogroll, I'm actually reading far more 'mommy' blogs these days than finance blogs.

I started this blog six years ago because I was utterly panicked at my lack of retirement plans, either financial plans or emotional ones. I thought exposing my finances, albeit anonymously, would help keep me honest and would garner me support as well as help me face reality.

I have to say it has worked out exactly that way. You have all been wonderful, even or maybe, especially, when critical.

It's been an amazing six years. I got my youngest child educated and out the door. I survived a quadruple by-pass. I saved for my retirement. And I cut my debt, though not nearly to the extent I might have wished.

I'm not giving up on any of my goals. Some are going better than others. My retirement funds went into the black hole of the recession but I kept contributing throughout. They have now fully recovered, and at this point, I have nearly reached my goal of $400,000. According to projections, I am actually on target to have $450,000 at age 69. But that retirement age is a moving target. Given that my grandson will not graduate high school until I'm 71, I'm strongly considering working until then.

My car is now paid off. My house has less than a year to go.

My debt is reduced some but this blog has charted the ups and downs of that. There are days when it seems to me I've made Murphy a permanent house guest. I should have paid off all my debt by now but it's no use whining. My job is to keep whittling away at it.

I'll leave the blog up for awhile, but eventually, it will disappear into the ether.

It's been a grand six years. I thank you and so does my budget.

Grace

23 comments:

Rose said...

Congratulations! I have enjoyed reading your blog for the past few years. I appreciate your sharing a window in to your life. I wish you all the best.

Rose in SV

Anonymous said...

Grace,

Thank you. It has been a pleasure to read your blog.

Beth

Donna Freedman said...

Grace: Good luck to you in this new stage, i.e., late parenthood.
Life certainly does throw curve balls from time to time. Your grandson is lucky to have you.

Super Saver said...

Grace,

Good luck on your future endeavors. It won't be the same blogosphere without many of the old timers.

SS

Anonymous said...

Dear Grace, I have been anxiously looking for a new post from you. I do wish you all the best on the journey ahead. I really admire your spirit and selflessness, you have a big heart. Christine in Australia

DeeDee said...

It's been an amazing read, and it inspired me to leap into the blogosphere! Perhaps it's time for you to start a 'mommy blog' of your own - or maybe a 'grannyblog' LOL

DeeDee
www.KidNeedsAKidney.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Best to you and yours. Your blog was on the top of my list for PF reading.

d in houston

frugal zeitgeist said...

You are one of the kindest, most compassionate people I've ever been privileged to get to know online. Very best wishes to you and your grandson.

Anonymous said...

Good luck to you -- I will miss reading your blog! K in MN

Petunia 100 said...

I'm going to miss your blog!

Best wishes to you and yours in the future. :)

Anonymous said...

Have been reading your blog for the last couple of years as lurker and have come to admire and respect you. Best of luck in the future.
Rita in NY.

nicoleandmaggie said...

Thanks for the update!

Anonymous said...

I'll miss you, Grace. I have been worried about you, glad you are all right. Wishing you only good things as you embark on this new journey.
Maryl

LC said...

I will miss you, but I will also rejoice in the knowledge that you are totally engaged in a monumental, worthwhile and glorious pursuit.

i have admired your spirit and practical efforts. And even tho yours is a financial blog, your courage and perseverance were an inspiration and encouragement in my continuing stroke recovery.

I will keep you and yours in my prayers.
Thank you for being you.

Sharon said...

Nooooooooooooooooo! Don't leave Grace!!! Keep us posted, I'll MISS YOU!!!!

cindi said...

My dearest Grace,
We've all been through some rough times these past few years. And some amazing changes. Some good. Some bad. But either way, we made it to the other side.
You were always the one who was the nicest and kindest to me. Even during any one of my moody complaints and/or misunderstandings, you were a steady rock. I shall miss your wisdom very much. I wish you all the luck in the world on your new path. I shall think of you often.
Peace and love. Thanks for always listening.And thank you very much for being there.

Carol said...

Hi Grace, just wanted to say that I've been in the same "non-blog" state as you--but I wanted to say hi anyhow! I'll be updating soon, I hope--take care of yourself.

Anonymous said...

Grace, I have been following your blog for a number of years. I will miss your words of wisdom and your ups and downs of life.

You have been an inspiration to me.!

LivingAlmostLarge said...

so sad! good luck. I know how it is that blogs come and go.

Anonymous said...

Grace,

Glad everything is on the up-and-up for you and your family. As someone trying to recover from the recession and start a new career, I know well the discomfort of facing the potential of working until well past 70. Keep at it, and best wishes.

Sincerely,

-J.P. in NC

DianeC said...

Oh Grace, My life has changed so much (all good) that I haven't kept up on my blog reading. Sorry to be so late to the farewell party. Alas, I feel like I am losing a friend. I will miss your voice.
I have been inspired by your journey over the years and thank you for sharing your trials and triumphs along the way. I hope you will post occasionally, just to let the folks who care for you know how you are faring. Many thanks and even more good wishes for the future!

frugalscholar said...

I've just discovered your wonderful writing/blog and am racing to read it all before it disappears. Many thanks!

Sandy said...

I am sad to see you go but good luck with the next phase of life!