Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Holiday Black Hole

I was reminded by this post at Always the Planner about the week-long black hole that follows Thansksgiving and Christmas. For whatever reason, the intense build-up to each of those holidays makes me think that's when the month ends.

But no!

I still have another week to go, and invariably, I am already out of money.

I may be able to make changes prior to Christmas, but it's too late for November.

Notwithstanding the lack of funds, Thanksgiving is shaping up nicely. My sister flies in from New York today, and, as always, Grace is hosting Thanksgiving dinner. While I like my Christmas to be small, Thanksgiving is an 'all comers' affair with my children and grandchildren free to invite anyone they want.

I do have a bit of a scam going. I sigh mightily and say in a forlorn voice that I will handle the turkey, but that means the family must come up with all the sides and desserts. As any good cook knows (which lets out most of MY kids!) the turkey takes half an hour of furious work, and then hours of doing nothing much. But it's been years and no one has caught on to me yet.

I hope your holiday goes well. Happy Thanksgiving.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Grace. Here's to another year of blogging!

Florence said...

Happy Thanksgiving Grace!! We have so much to be thankful for!! Enjoy your family!!

Diane C said...

Oh, Grace, that is so true! As to the "Black Hole" week: isn't that when you eat up all the TG leftovers? Barring an adequate supply of same, could it be a freezer/pantry clean out week?

asgreen said...

Thanks for linking back to me! I hope you have a wonderful thanksgiving! Just keep thinking it is only a week after Thanksgiving to December. Not sure if it will help, but it is worth a try!

Sharon said...

hahahahah! We are hosting Thanksgiving this year, and my friends are bringing a bunch of sides. (I feel like I cheated! :)!)

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving Grace!!

Jane said...

Ha ha good for you Grace! I don't mind the turkey business at all either. Yes, there is definitely a bit of the money struggle after the holidays. I way overspent on Thanksgiving (ours is in Oct.)but managed to make up for most of it by a rigid fiscal fast! It had to be done!

Bob Lowry said...

My eldest daughter is hosting Thanksgiving this year so all we bring is some wine, rolls, and a cranberry salad.

Have a great holiday and relaxing weekend.

Well Heeled Blog said...

I am MORE than happy to bring pie and desserts if that means I can sneak into a Thanksgiving feast. :) I'm sure your kids know exactly what's going on.

Revanche said...

Most (younger) people who haven't done a turkey are so terrified of the consequences of doing it wrong they'll do any number of side dishes to avoid the responsibility (citing informal poll, 2011). :)

I like your method, in other words!

Hawaii Planner said...

Turkey is intimidating for me, so I'd much prefer to bring sides & wine & let you handle the hard work. Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!