Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Life In The Non-Profit Lane

Thanks to Frugal Zeitgeist for pointing out this article in the New York times. It's about a program geared to retirees who miss the workplace but NOT their prior jobs. I'm intrigued that it pays--not much, but $25,000 year, which would be a handy supplement to one's retirement funds.

It really isn't for me, since I've spent my working life with non-profits.

But I wonder if my banker-sister would like it? She's retiring this year after thirty years in the upper echelons of the banking world. She isn't sure what she wants to do after she retires. Volunteering appeals to her, but she would like to use skills other than her financial ones, which are of course, the particular skills everyone wants from her. She's thinking about teaching. Or religious study. Or something.

I plan to send this article her way, if she hasn't already read it.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grace,
What's the name of the article? Your link isn't working. Thanks.

Grace. said...

It worked for me just now--I wonder what kind of problem you're having? (When in doubt, I always blame it on the mouse!) It's called "Ready For Life's Encore Performances" and was in the Style section of the NY Times on 3/19/10.

Anonymous said...

the links almost never work for me either

Grace. said...

So help me out here folks. Do the links work for you? If not, what kind of note do you get?

MasterPo said...

So this is about volunteering or low-pay work at what? Teaching kids to read or similar?

What is MasterPo missing?

Anonymous said...

Hi Grace,

It worked for me. Here is the regular site for anyone:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/21/fashion/21age.html?pagewanted=1&ref=style

I checked Encore for my area in Fl. Interesting.

Patti

Anonymous said...

Your links always work for me.

frugal zeitgeist said...

Thanks for the link love!

The link works for me. I checked the page source and it's rendering correctly. Folks who are having trouble, what browser are you using?

Grace. said...

If I understand the article correctly, it's real work, not voluntarily teaching kids to read. More in the managerial or caseworker sense.

Anonymous said...

Grace's links never work for me. Using Firefox.

Grace. said...

Hmm--when I used Firefox to get to this blog, NONE of my links showed up. I have no idea why that is. They show up fine in everything else. Anybody have a solution?

frugal zeitgeist said...

There's not really enough information to tell what's wrong, but it sounds like there is something wrong with how the links are constructed. Most browsers are smart enough to auto-correct errors like that, but most of the time FireFox isn't.

Grace, when you create blog posts, do you use the Edit HTML tab or the Compose tab?

If you use the Compose tab, when you create a link, do you type in the http:// component (example: http://www.cnn.com) or just the URL (example: www.cnn.com)?

Grace. said...

Let's see--I do use the "Edit HTML" box to write my posts and I do put in the cite beginning (usually) with "http://"

If you have a clue to what I'm doing wrong, please explain. If you'd prefer to take it to e-mail, I'm at gracefulretire@aol.com

Bucksome Boomer said...

Hi Grace, thanks for sharing this article and idea. I know that when I "retire" it doesn't mean I won't work somewhere and this the type of opportunity tha'll interest me.