Sunday, June 29, 2008

If I'm So Down, Why is My Net Worth Up?

OK, math was never my strong suit.

But given that my retirement fund is in the toilet (currently at $153,336, down from a high of $174,518 in October, 2007--and never mind the thousand dollars a month I've faithfully contributed since then!), my residence is worth $9000 less this quarter than last, and my debts have increased, how is it that my total net worth for this quarter stands at $599,775? That's $8180 more than it was on March 31, 2008.

Not that I'm complaining! This is the first positive news on my financial front in three months!

Looking more closely, I see that my rental property on the coast actually increased in value by some $11,000. I'm guessing that is because it is a modestly priced home in a good neighborhood. That rise in value offset some of my expenditures this quarter to leave me solidly in the black and on the rise--at least in terms of net worth.

Nice to leave this month on an up moment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Because, contrary to what the financial 'experts' tell us, real estate is the only thing that matters.
I'd be putting my retirement deposits in a money market within your retirement portfolio. The market is going to keep on dumping. When you see it start to perk up, then transfer it over to a fund. I'm not an adviser but at your age, the loss is noticeable and may take a long time to recover.

Living Almost Large said...

RE can depreciate and it's not cash until you sell it.

Keep the retirement accounts going. With your plans for 10 more years of work I'd keep a balanced 75/25, but you've said you want 100% equities.

That being said has the most risk with not much extra return. I'd keep it more moderate without losing gains.